Few pics of plants growing in the wild(Abroad)

Information on various Gardening Events & Showcases

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Few pics of plants growing in the wild(Abroad)

Post by KBW »

When I mentioned in my introduction that I have a collection of wild plant pics taken in their natural habitat, I was asked to share these pics for the knowledge of fellow members. I have undertaken a search for these pics in old folders. Many of these pics are around a decade or more old. Sometimes during those days, I used to make separate folders for these pics but most of the time, they are mixed up with other folders. It will take some time to search them out but I will keep doing so as and when I get time. What I can sense right now is that I might have lost most of them or may be I can't find them. If they are lost, what a great loss it would be. It had taken me many years and lot of travelling into a number of forests taking those pics. Well I didn't go there just to take plant pics but since it was my hobby, I mostly never missed an opportunity to take a few whenever I got a chance.

My apologies in advance for poor photography as many of these pics are quite old and have been taken with the earliest of digital cameras. I will try to post pics in various groups of plants like ferns, palms, orchids, bromeliads etc. Hope they are of interest to the fellow members.

Here we go.....
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Few pics of plants growing in the wild...

Post by KBW »

Ferns in the Wild

Most of these pics are more than 10 years old and have been taken in various Indonesian Islands like Bali, Jawa, Florence and Timor.

A Platycerium on the right and a Asplenium on the left. It's quite a few years that I have stayed away from gardening and have forgotten the exact botanical names. Someone can help me in that. My local friend liked them a lot and took them out from the trees to plant in his house. Normally found in dark shady areas, these ferns were in a relatively open area located just next to a track, if I correctly recall.

Another Asplenium from a rainforest.

And look at this epiphytic fern. I don't remember the name, probably another Asplenium. This tree was located near a village and like many of our fellow countrymen, Indonesians also like to write their names where they possibly can.

This fern feels at home on the rough surface of Cocos nucifera

I understand that there is no "gardening" effort involved here and it's just a reproduction of few pics taken a long time back in the wild. But such pics may act as reference, some times.

Please note the amount of leaf mold on the ground..... nature's fertilizer in the rainforests.

regards
Last edited by KBW on February 21st, 2013, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Please note that all pics are of wild plants. In few cases, you might feel that these are the pics of plants kept in the houses. They might be but the owner (a local ) would have taken them out from a forest and planted in his house. None of the plants shown in the pics in this thread has been raised in or bought from a nursery. The source in all cases is a forest / wilderness.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Nice effort....keep it up
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Thanks.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Few Palms in the Wild

Here are pics of few Palms in their habitat. Most of the pics have been taken in various Islands of Indonesia.

A Fishtail palm growing in the wild. This one looks like a Caryota rumphiana, I believe.

A fishtail seedling, sprouting on the forest floor.

A strikingly beautiful Fishtail Palm, perhaps Caryota gigas or may be a Caryota no.

Another fishtail seedling growing on the forest floor.

Large size fishtail palms look strikingly beautiful in the wild. More to come.......
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Great work; reflects total dedication to one's hobby.Hats off, KBW!
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Thanks munir bhai :)

A few more palms.

Areca catechu (Betle nut palm) growing in the wild.

A strikingly beautiful palm. It was simply fascinating to see such a thing growing in wilderness. Probably Calamus erectus.

Another one....

Not sure which specia....

Cocos nucifera, Coconut Palm.

Cant recognise this palm. Pic taken from a distance.

A clump of nice looking palms... not sure which one exactly

Stay tuned..
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Who stays Amaryllis does not grow in the wild in tropics!! Here are a few growing in one of the Indonesian island....

This was outside a rainforest, on a open plain in the mountains where it was a little cool. Many would say that Hippeastrum originated in South Africa and can not be seen growing naturally in SE Asia. Basing on this, one of my friend suspected that someone brought Amaryllis bulbs and dropped them in the rain forest or may be accidentally left them there. I am not sure. The way they were growing, they looked quite natural to me but can't be sure.

Whether they were occurring naturally in that area or they were brought accidentally, they were stunningly beautiful.

What do you say?
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

There is no doubt about these plants however that they are growing naturally in their habitat.....

These are Carcuma lillies, a member of ginger family. Rhizomes of this particular plant with stunningly beautiful pinkish purple flowers is the source for Turmeric (haldi).

Aren't they stunning!!!

Return to “Flower Shows, Visits & Gardening Events/Showcases”