"Air Plant"- which simply grows in air

Showcase your garden. Tell us what is flowering around you.

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

"Air Plant"- which simply grows in air

Post by M Farooq »

Couple of days ago, I saw an "air plant" in a shop - the plant was simply growing in air. How does it live? It absorbs moisture from air through leaves. And one can expect the consequence of water absorption through leaves - it has no roots.

Its name is Tillandsia. It is very easy to maintain and grow since it takes care of itself. I have pictures of other epiphytes (from a botanical garden, which I will post later sometime).
Tillandsia
Tillandsia
Although appearance wise it may not be fancy but it bears beautiful pink flowers. And last of all, this plant testifies our idiom "Huva pe zinda rehna"...for those who eat very little :-)
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: "Air Plant"- which simply grows in air

Post by KBW »

Very nice share Farooq bhai. Actually, a large numbre of plants in rainforests just attach them with a tree or something and grow in air. If you notice, their crown is cup shaped which collects everything that falls inside. They come from an environment where it rains almost every day. Water, dead leaves, bird droppings and even dead insects and their droppings (attracted through their colourful foliage / flowers mostly) are collected in the crown, decompose and become source of mineral for the plant. Plus, they are all the time absorbing moisture / attached minerals from their leaves.

It really fascinating to see hundreds of such plants growing in the rain forests (and one would also come across lots of giant centipedes, scorpions and tree snakes at the same place :mrgreen: ).
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Thank you KBW sahab, nice information.

I have never been to rainforest but would love to. You are lucky in that aspect. I just visit botanical gardens whenever I get a chance. Here is one fancy epiphyte fern that I clicked in a botanical garden. It was amazing how it wraps the leaf around the stem of the pine just to hold moisture. The name of the plant was Elk's horn fern.
Epiphyte-Fern.jpg
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Yes, both elkhorn and staghorn ferns attach themselves with a support, mostly with trees. They are stunning ferns but need a tropical weather and continuously humid atmosphere. You can see pics of some of these ferns in natural habitat in this thread...
http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... 644#p13342
regards
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

There are many plants from the tropical rain forests which just live like this.the most popular group in gardening World are the orchids.
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Farooq sahib in which shop you have seen this? Seniors could we grow it here in Pakistan?
I was also reading about it from some days and found these pics.They are normally hanged in Bathrooms where they get the required moisture.
Attachments
airplant1.jpg
airplant.jpg
airplant.jpg (94.54 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Elks Horn fern is so beautiful & easily available in nurseries in summer.
Kaleem
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

My Air plants
Attachments
m_035.jpg
Kaleem
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Kallem the Horn is there.please post a picture of it.what i want to ask can it survive our winters.please update me.i want this fern.its very unique.
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

whats it called in our 'nursery language'? and from where to get them?

Return to “What is blooming in your Garden?”