Plumeria Advice Needed

Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

Rafaiy
City: Rawalpindi

Plumeria Advice Needed

Post by Rafaiy »

A0A Gardeners!
Hoping every1 is f9...now coming to the topic...I am getting my hands on a plumeria plant which i am seeing at my regular visits to the nursery from the last 2 years...I have been told that the plant is more than 3 years old...the plant is in a large pot having multiple branches and produces very majestic and heavily fragrant white flowers...the nursery man is reluctant to sell the only plant but i think i might be able to strike a deal with him :) ...before that i request all my dear gardeners to advice me as to what should be a reasonable price for this plant...

Adding a few pics to give an idea to fellow gardeners...the plant at the moment has no leaves...

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Plumeria Advice Needed

Post by M Farooq »

Could you find online pictures of similar Plumeria flowers to give us some idea - if that Plumeria is really rare in Pakistan? Of course plant age is counted in the price. There are so many white plumeria flowers e.g.

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe ... igKM2oCgDg

http://www.frangiplants.com.au/white.html

Which one resemble yours?

Regards,
Farooq
Rafaiy

Post by Rafaiy »

The plant under discussion has the following characteristics:
According to the second link you sent it is the first one:

FRAGRANT WHITE

Flower Size: 7 cm

Fragrance: Very Sweet

Holding of Pigment: Very Good

Flower Production: Moderate to Heavy

I dont think that it a rare specimen...it would be easily available at nurseries but the issue here is that the nurserymen are mostly selling small plants approx. 1.5 to 2 feet tall specimens in small pots with no idea as to which type of plumeria it is...its just like bringing a plant and caring for it and keeping guessing its flowers till it gives some :) , that too if it reaches that age...i would also like to add that small plants prices start from 100 rs.

I hope i have made everything clear...now a realistic price estimate is requested :) ...
Regardz
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Thanks for clarifying. True, this type of Plumeria is not rare. I am out of Pk for a while so no idea about the current nursery prices :-(, but it should not exceed Rs. 500-600 given that it is an ordinary champa - thats all. Admittedly, the plant is couple of years old...so take that into account. And in the end- shauq ka koi mole nahi...if you like plant buy it with a price you considerable reasonable.
Rafaiy

Post by Rafaiy »

Thanxs alot for a prompt reply sir :) ...i was also thinking in the same price range...i'll try to get a reasonable quote when i visit the nursery next time but what i have noticed is that these plants are expensive in rawalpindi...till then any other local rawalpindi/islamabad gardener can give his input on price...
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Rafaiy wrote:Thanxs alot for a prompt reply sir :) ...i was also thinking in the same price range...i'll try to get a reasonable quote when i visit the nursery next time but what i have noticed is that these plants are expensive in rawalpindi...till then any other local rawalpindi/islamabad gardener can give his input on price...
I dont know the name of the nursery you are looking at; but being a common plant it ought to be available at any nursery, many around. The plant you have developed the liking for is in a gamla, thus can be planted any time next many months, so a lot of time to look up more nurseries. I ll also look around. To add, I have this Champa plant in the lawn which puts on pink flowers,but presently even without leaves.
Rafaiy

Post by Rafaiy »

you are right it is available at approx. all nurseries but they are all small plants...i personally bought two plants last year for 80 rs. each but the issue is that i would have to wait for atleast 2 years before they flower for the first time whereas this plant has already passed that phase and now it has become a young tree...secondly its flowers are very fragant...till now didnt find any specimen with such fragrant flowers at any nursery...and mostly importantly i plan to keep this plant in a pot, no plans of transferring it to the ground if ofcourse i purchase it :) ...
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Large heavily scented blooms, rounded leaves.. then it could be a Plumeria obtusa "Singapore"

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”