Fast Growing Trees in Islamabad

Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

baberrabbani
City: Islamabad

Fast Growing Trees in Islamabad

Post by baberrabbani »

AA. Dear Brothers, i have home near rain water Nullah in Islamabad. I want to plant trees along the Nullah wall to reduce smell of waste water flowing through it too.

Can any one advise which fast growing and big tree would be suitable for such purpose in Islamabad environment?

My first preference would be to plant some fruit tree. But, I guess those are very slow growing or small in size.

I hate Poplar tree so kindly do not advise about it.

Also, if I can find find bigger size trees from any nursery in Islamabad to save some time while spending some money.

Note: Though it is rain water Nullah in E-11 sector, but people divert sewerage water too which causes smell.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Fast Growing Trees in Islamabad

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I wonder can a tree reduce smell of sewerage water........either it has to be highly fragrant type or quite a few trees of some type to make any significant impact.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

baberrabbani wrote:AA. Dear Brothers, i have home near rain water Nullah in Islamabad. I want to plant trees along the Nullah wall to reduce smell of waste water flowing through it too.
Can any one advise which fast growing and big tree would be suitable for such purpose in Islamabad environment?
My first preference would be to plant some fruit tree. But, I guess those are very slow growing or small in size.
I hate Poplar tree so kindly do not advise about it.
Also, if I can find find bigger size trees from any nursery in Islamabad to save some time while spending some money.
Note: Though it is rain water Nullah in E-11 sector, but people divert sewerage water too which causes smell.
Sir you have to catch the culprits if they are draining sewage water illegally. As they say "Treat the cause, not the symptom". Probably by planting a tree you wish to reduce the wafts of foul air entering your home but it is not going to work! The foul odors are already present in extremely low concentrations in air (say parts per million) to be perceptible by our nose. Our nose is an excellent detector!

Eucalyptus (or safaida) is fast growing relatively an ugly tree. Or if the nullah is not too large, can you plant water hyacinths? At least it will reduce the wafts.
baberrabbani

Post by baberrabbani »

I would limit scope of my question as " what are bigger and faster growing trees in Islamabad? And where I can find relatively bigger plants in nurseries to save time "
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Define Fast.....and the size that you are looking for?
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

baberrabbani wrote:I would limit scope of my question as " what are bigger and faster growing trees in Islamabad? And where I can find relatively bigger plants in nurseries to save time "
As Farhan said...fast and slow are relative but still I would attempt:

1. Conocarpus: Very fast growing and beautiful foliage
2. Euclayptus (safaida): Ultra fast but weak wood. Personally don't like it.
3. Bamboo: That grows very fast. We had it growing behind our house.
4. Relatively slower: Maple. Bonus ... Beautiful autumns

Just keep in mind that all of the above need good direct sunglight to grow! If there is shade they won't be as healthy as you might expect.
baberrabbani

Post by baberrabbani »

Thanks for your replies.

I would explain the term fast growing trees. For Example I love Pine trees but its very slow growing. I do not want such trees which take decades to attain height of 20-30 feet.

Thick Foliage trees with good height are fine with me. If its fruit trees that it would be great too.

The place is in full sun shade all day long. My home is still 25-30 feet away from wall of Nullah. So i have enough space to grow trees on lining of Nullah without damaging my home due to thick roots ( if Any ).

Picture is attached so you can advise me better. Also please note that soil of this area is not reddish in color but normal brown color which will obviously be quite moist when one go down.

Taken From Friend's Home
Taken From Friend's Home
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I think you should work in layers. Closest to Nullah......as suggested by Farooq Sb...plant Conocarpus trees closely in a row. It is fast growing and will make a complete fence, thereby physically stopping unwanted smell. It can be clipped nicely to make a sort of wall structure.

Between your house and this conocarpus tree line....you can grow whatever suits you, maybe annuals, veggies or fruit trees. Conocarpus can easily reach 15 Ft height, has a thick/close foliage and is very rapid grower.
farah fayyaz
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

It's not necessary to plant some trees.You can go for some fragrant flowers as well. Raat ki rani is a good option.And u can search some more fragrant flowers.In trees,orange tree has strong flowers when it blooms.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

farhan137 wrote:I think you should work in layers. Closest to Nullah......as suggested by Farooq Sb...plant Conocarpus trees closely in a row. It is fast growing and will make a complete fence, thereby physically stopping unwanted smell. It can be clipped nicely to make a sort of wall structure.
Between your house and this conocarpus tree line....you can grow whatever suits you, maybe annuals, veggies or fruit trees. Conocarpus can easily reach 15 Ft height, has a thick/close foliage and is very rapid grower.
Conocarpus would be the best choice, closely planted. Try to buy grown up trees ~ 5 ft. Initially they might need stilts or supports. Once it matures it will look very nice! That's how I had grown them. Unfortunately neem does not survive very well in Islamabad, otherwise that's the best option if you plan to live in this area for a long time.
Conocarpus in a row
Conocarpus in a row
Int A Int SL372968034034.jpg (72.9 KiB) Viewed 25336 times

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”