Allamanda

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Allamanda

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

AoA Eid Mubarak
This plant has confirmed its place in my garden.
Not a climber but a rambler, requiring a support. It is best grown mixed with other vines, it finds a space protruding through them to sun growing up to 20 feet. Here it is poking through Wisteria, Quisqualis and Golden Shower.
I have yellow single, yellow double and red, I am trying to get other colours too. I have successfully propagated it through tip cuttings. It is susceptible to frost damage and requires protection first year or two.

The flower

With Quisqualis 20 feet from root

Through Wisteria

Through Golden Shower

Highly recommended
Arif
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Allamanda

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Arif sb no doubt its a well deserving plant.but i have failed to grow it in my garden.any tip for growing it success fully.i really love this rambler.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Eid mubarak! Not sure what to praise, the vine, the camera, photography skills or the green thumb! All are at par excellence mashallah. Just curious, which camera was used? Its is a pretty expensive vine though.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

M Farooq wrote:Eid mubarak! Not sure what to praise, the vine, the camera, photography skills or the green thumb! All are at par excellence mashallah. Just curious, which camera was used? Its is a pretty expensive vine though.
The plant is not expensive, the price in Lahore is Rs 300, in hyderabad sind it is for Rs.90 . My camara is Fuji Film S 5500,it is simple and handy, most pictures are on auto.
zeeshanuddin
City: Islamabad/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Palms, ferns, annuals, succulants, house plants

Post by zeeshanuddin »

Its a very easy plant to grow in Karachi atleast and as Mr Arif said, not very expensive. I have three plants in my Karachi home. My personal favorite is the one shown here (I dont know which variety is that???) Can I grow them in pots here in Islamabad?
alamanda09.jpg
Zeeshan
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

No they are not practical in Islamabad specially your favorite.only the wild yellow can survive.the survival rte even of the yellow is 1-2 % at Islamabad.Lahore climate is slightly warmer than Islamabad so the chance of survival is more than Islamabad.its very easy in Karachi as u said because Karachi,s climate is semi Tropical.First i saw Allamanda in my uncle,s home at Hill park,Karachi in 91.i tried here but never survived. i have seen one well established plant at Peshawar thats why i told 1-2 % chance.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Last year in september end I saw a plant with red flowers. He had only one I brought it and kept it in the pot along a wall. It survived the winter and in spring I planted it in the ground. It is in bloom but the flowers have changed colour. It is no more vivid red.

What could be the reason for colour change?
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Last year in september end I saw a plant with red flowers. He had only one I brought it and kept it in the pot along a wall. It survived the winter and in spring I planted it in the ground. It is in bloom but the flowers have changed colour. It is no more vivid red.

What could be the reason for colour change?
I am suspecting soil pH change. Plant flower pigments specially anthocyanins have strongly pH dependent colour (in test tubes). They are bright red in acidic medium fading to yellowish in extreme alkaline conditions. An interesting case is that of hydrangea- the same plant shows red flowers in acidic soil and blue in alkaline soil. Try using ammonium sulfate and see if that returns the bright red colour of the flowers.

There is some yellowing of the leaves as well. What is your soil pH?

Regards,

Farooq
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

I am also of the same opinion i.e. high pH for this bloom color change ..but i haven't seen a red allamanda ... the red flowers are of mandevilla which is a vine rather then a rambling shrub...
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Izhar you mean PH can change the color of the flowers.it happens with Hydrangeas.the gardeners use to add iron in the soil to change the pink into blue.

Return to “Vines”