Gardening On Budget! Need Advice

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

kashif
City: Kalatiiii
Gardening Interests: lite to glow my own vedetables and lot of phuloots
(or taa boloon)

Gardening On Budget! Need Advice

Post by kashif »

Greetings to all,
This is my first post and very glad to have this forum and all great positive members and i ve a question what vegetables and fruits i can grow directly bought from vegetables hawkers or grocery store if i want to start on budget or dissable to go seeds shops pls explain in detail especially Izhar sb and all others members are welcome to shine their experience. {Pls Pardon me if my post in the wrong forum)

Thank Ya
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Gardening On Budget! Need Advice

Post by M Farooq »

kashif wrote:Greetings to all,
This is my first post and very glad to have this forum and all great positive members and i ve a question what vegetables and fruits i can grow directly bought from vegetables hawkers or grocery store if i want to start on budget or dissable to go seeds shops pls explain in detail especially Izhar sb and all others members are welcome to shine their experience. {Pls Pardon me if my post in the wrong forum)
Dear Kashif, welcome to the forum. There are many highly talented gardeners and vegetable growers on the list. However, to get more informative replies from them, you can tell us the area available to you and the amount of sunlight you get (timings) in your garden.

Let me add a tiny point: Gardening is less about budget but more about time devotion and passion :-)
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Growing vegetables is as economical as it gets....You will not find vegetables in nursery other than few herbs. Most vegetables also dislike transplanting. They have to be started from seed/sown in situ which is easy. There are some veggies which can be started by seedlings purchased such as onions, tomatoes, chillies etc. But you will get these from a specialized seller of these seedlings not nursery. I am not sure where in Karachi.

Veggies are quite hardy, tolerates weather of their season and germinate good as they are sown in bulk.
Seeds are easily available at seed shops or agricultural stores. Most veggie seeds will cost not more than Rs.10 for 20-50 gm which is very enough for you.
You can also get them from empress market or shops at old sabzi mandi.

For growing various veggies you can browse through threads in kitchen garden section. Otherwise we are always there to answer your questions
kashif
(or taa boloon)

Post by kashif »

M Farooq wrote:
Dear Kashif, welcome to the forum. There are many highly talented gardeners and vegetable growers on the list. However, to get more informative replies from them, you can tell us the area available to you and the amount of sunlight you get (timings) in your garden.

Let me add a tiny point: Gardening is less about budget but more about time devotion and passion :-)

Thanks M.Farooq
i ve small kiyari {8 ft in length, 3 ft width approx) i get off and on sunlight in car parking and i ve complete 160 yards empty roof with full sunlight, and you are right about gardening is more like passion and devotion the reason i ask to grow veggies from veggies hawkers because i ve strickly obligation for work and family and very limited time and try to avoid going busy shopping areas these days because of situation of city.
So i thought i should ask.
kashif
(or taa boloon)

Post by kashif »

farhan137 wrote:Growing vegetables is as economical as it gets....You will not find vegetables in nursery other than few herbs. Most vegetables also dislike transplanting. They have to be started from seed/sown in situ which is easy. There are some veggies which can be started by seedlings purchased such as onions, tomatoes, chillies etc. But you will get these from a specialized seller of these seedlings not nursery. I am not sure where in Karachi.

Veggies are quite hardy, tolerates weather of their season and germinate good as they are sown in bulk.
Seeds are easily available at seed shops or agricultural stores. Most veggie seeds will cost not more than Rs.10 for 20-50 gm which is very enough for you.
You can also get them from empress market or shops at old sabzi mandi.

For growing various veggies you can browse through threads in kitchen garden section. Otherwise we are always there to answer your questions
Thanks Farhan for your help, can u pls direct me where i can buy seeds at old sabzi mandi area
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

kashif wrote:
M Farooq wrote:

Thanks M.Farooq
i ve small kiyari {8 ft in length, 3 ft width approx) i get off and on sunlight in car parking and i ve complete 160 yards empty roof with full sunlight, and you are right about gardening is more like passion and devotion the reason i ask to grow veggies from veggies hawkers because i ve strickly obligation for work and family and very limited time and try to avoid going busy shopping areas these days because of situation of city.
So i thought i should ask.
I am not very confident of success if you don't get enought sunlight. Most vegetables will require full bright sunlight for full day. Do you plan to do roof top gardening? Most plants will not like a windy location, thoI have no experience with roof top gardening.

May be you can start with maintanence free house hold vegetables and aromatic herbs. My favourite were podina, hara dhania, onions, and brinjals/ egg plants. You can also grow curry pata and the whole neighbourhood will become your friend for an occassional bunch of leaves. Also a lemon tree would be a lovely addition. Secondly turai (zuccini), karayla are easy to grow vines as well. Ask the nursery guy (Shalimar nursery) for guidance for the right season. Their plants are very robust and of highest quality (which implies their plants are more expensive). The price is worth it.
kashif
(or taa boloon)

Post by kashif »

thanks m.farooq for yr advice i m still new and ll follow yr advice lets c where its goes so far i ve lemon plant in pot on roof and couple seedling of tomatoes fresh seed and planning to buy strawberry plant not sure if i can grow from strawberry from seed. Lets c

Return to “Questions and Problems”