Plastic pots and water conservation

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Plastic pots and water conservation

Post by khabbab »

I have around 60 pots on terrace. All are clay pots. 30 large, 30 medium. This year i planted petunia in a large plastic container which is flowering good. Other petunias and other plants i am watering them every 4 days. But the one in plastic container required water only once a month. Because clay pots are porous and they dry out from sides as well they require much more water.

Plastic pots are expensive as compared to clay ones. But compare this cost with water scarcity. Plastic pots do not come in large sizes easily and may not be available easily. The less air circulation can be a problem?

The problem gets worse in hot summer months. Load shedding of water is very common in lahore. Sometimes water is not available for half a day or even full day. The plants in clay pots are gone in this case. So should i move gradually to all plastic pots instead of clay?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Re: Plastic pots and water conservation

Post by AhmadIrfan »

I think if you are using platic containers you should have a medium with allows good water drainage.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Drainage is not a problem. I can even make holes on sides for good drainage.
Lahore gardening blog
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I really don't think plants will do good in plastic pots with the heat we have from April to September. Especially if they are put in the sun. You'll stress you plants for sure, probably kill a few this summer also. Terracota pots are best but I understand the watering problem. I'm already having a headache watering frequently and it's not even hot yet. Also the water problem is an issue even with conservation tanks one can still run out if watering too many plants and the lawn. Imagine watering 60 pots of yours twice a day in May and June ...... Not cool......I still recommend put your precious plants in Terracota.
Omar

Post by Omar »

Khabab, now that you have decided to move to plastic pots, you can get plastic pots of every size from more green seeds little tolinton, gulberg, or you could use your existing terracotta pots with very cheap change and you can get the best properties of both types. Saw it on some gardening website, don't really remember but the idea was to line plastic bag inside of terracotta pot with drainage hole in its bottom and where ever you want and then put soil and plant in it. water will not seep through the sides of pot and yet will provide good drainage at the bottom.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Good idea. This will bring down watering and the plus point will be the Terracota wall will remain cool as compared to the the plastic pots.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I am not fond of plastic containers, but presented by family I have quite a few from 2-16 inches.
To my mind;
The advantage is looks, conservation of water due to less evaporation from sides and light weight.
Disadvantage is danger of water logging, higher temperature of media/roots (evaporation from pots sides keeps the pot cool) and here the cost.
I am still reluctant to use my plastic pots.
Faisal Riaz
City: Karachi

Post by Faisal Riaz »

Best substitute of expensive plastic pots is paint buckets readily available in used plastic market from sizes 10 ltr. to onwards and 20 ltr. is best for growing tomatoes and other vegetables as well.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

I think the biggest disadavantage of plastic pots is water logging and lack of air circulation for the root in our environment. However there is a nice criterion from the University of Nebraska on choosing plastic vs. clay:

"Gardeners with a heavy hand at watering tend to over-water; their plants will probably benefit from clay. Other gardeners who wait for the wilting signal from their plants are better off with plastic. Plants which demand a well-drained, dry soil like cacti also prefer clay pots."

More details here:
http://lancaster.unl.edu/hort/articles/ ... pots.shtml

Regards,
M. Farooq
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

Omar wrote:Khabab, now that you have decided to move to plastic pots, you can get plastic pots of every size from more green seeds little tolinton, gulberg, or you could use your existing terracotta pots with very cheap change and you can get the best properties of both types. Saw it on some gardening website, don't really remember but the idea was to line plastic bag inside of terracotta pot with drainage hole in its bottom and where ever you want and then put soil and plant in it. water will not seep through the sides of pot and yet will provide good drainage at the bottom.
That is better. Will try for sure.
Lahore gardening blog

Return to “Questions and Problems”