Technical question for Papaya experts

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Technical question for Papaya experts

Post by aykhan »

I have 3 varieties of papaya seedlings. I want to know if I need the same variety male and female to produce the particular variety fruit or will any male plant do? If I need to have the same male for each variety how far do I need to plant the different varieties so the females don't get pollinated by a different male? Hope I was able to make my problem clear!
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Technical question for Papaya experts

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

How many plants you have? Plant them in clumps of each variety, on raised ground 4 feet between each plant. Winter protection is a must for young plants.
Remember me if you have any seedling to spare.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Yes you need the same variety and hand pollination to get a particular variety.. you cant prevent the pollination when the male flowers are in bloom..
One experience I want to share that in my friend's garden a male papaya plant around 3 year old started producing normal fruits, it produces the male flowers as well as the female flowers and the flowering is on male pattern i.e. away from main trunk..
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Thanks for the info. I have the Hawaiian F1 variety which will yield 50% female and 50% hermaphrodite. No males! I did some research and the best option is to keep the hermaphrodites and discard the females since they yield lesser fruit.

Still not sure how far to plant different varieties so they don't inter pollinate which will likely yield different kind of fruit.

Brig saheb I don't have enough space to plant all the seedlings so will likely pot them. They should flower in 5 months when I will know which sex they are, then I will plant mostly hermaphrodites. Once I have flowers will inshallah give you a hermaphrodite, you only need one since it self pollinates :)
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin
City: Karachi

Post by mirafzalkhan »

Four types of Papaya seedlings are possible according to leaf structure
1. Only 3 lobed leaves
2. Only 5 lobed leaves
3. More 3 lobed than 5 lobed
4. More 5 lobed than 3 lobed
It was presumed that seedlings with only 3 lobed and more number of 3 lobed will be males and with only 5 lobed and more number of 5 lobed will be female.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Very interesting. I guess the hermaphrodite will be something in between :D

Return to “Questions and Problems”