Best medium for rooting cuttings in monsoon

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Re: Best medium for rooting cuttings in monsoon

Post by haris.kabir »

I added that yellow medium to my baby adenium pot. ( As it already had the same yellow medium when I bought it. The seller said he got them from Karachi) Now I dont want to loose that adenium. Any suggestions as to change of potting mix ?
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Khabbab I would suggest 1:1 Sand and Coco peat but if you want a relatively sterile medium for precious cuttings then 1:1 Perlite and Peat Moss. I plan on using 1:1 Perlite and Peat Moss since I don't have too many cuttings I need to or can root this season.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

We call this yellow medium "Baalu matti" and grow all of our plants in it....
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

The plants I have received in Baalu Matti have been very difficult to get out of pots whole. The rootball literally breaks in your hand if you are not extremely careful and sets the plant back weeks if not totally killing it.
KAMasud
City: RawalPindi

Post by KAMasud »

:lol: . Cutting mix, root ball breaking. I am a bit to much old school and i believe its the empathy between the gardener and his plants that counts. Some people call it green fingers. Except for April, May and June when the plant requires protection i take apart the root ball, wash it, prune and shape the roots then i replant them. This Bhallu in Karachi and Bhall in Potohar is no secret ingredient its just plain old river silt. Go behind Faisal Air base you will find all your gooey silt in the Malir river. Silt if you check has every thing in it. Sand, soil, clay, minerals, organic material and is considered the best growth medium world wide. As to cuttings not catching, there has to be some reason behind it and its mostly the human element. I dont have a Malli and am dependent on myself. When ever i have tried to keep a Malli i have had a whole scale massacre on my hand.
These mallis are uneducated, no empathy with plants, no knowledge except experience and that lets them down when they have to micro manage the ecology and eco system of the plants. They dont have the luxury of the Net and even if they did, so what?
Let me give a example. Cacti, i was failing in the cuttings field until one day (maybe net) i started to leave fresh cacti cutting in the sun for the injury to seal off. Even after a month that wrinkled out like a prune cutting would catch and i have never had any mortality with cacti.
A good carpenter does not need tools he can make use of anything. A bad carpenter even with the best Black & Dekkar tools ends up fighting with them. So Daktuuuri heal thyself.
Regards.

Izhar as one ex fish keeper to a current fish keeper, go check the Malir river. After a heavy rain you will also find fresh BloodWorms and aquatic plants. Also check the canal system of the Saint Franciscan Monestry (beyond Hassan Square, across the railway line). Live bearers in it. Take classes from the farming monks.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

aykhan wrote:The plants I have received in Baalu Matti have been very difficult to get out of pots whole. The rootball literally breaks in your hand if you are not extremely careful and sets the plant back weeks if not totally killing it.
When i pull any plant from the pot.. i myself remove all the soil from its roots.. cut the old and rotted roots before replanting...

KAMasud wrote:Izhar as one ex fish keeper to a current fish keeper, go check the Malir river. After a heavy rain you will also find fresh BloodWorms and aquatic plants. Also check the canal system of the Saint Franciscan Monestry (beyond Hassan Square, across the railway line). Live bearers in it. Take classes from the farming monks.
:).. Malir naddi is full of pollutants nowadays.. but still a source of stubborn freshwater fishes and plants for home aquarium ..

Return to “Questions and Problems”