Need Help for Tree selection

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

AmirNAWAZ
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: I am a newcomer and want to learn about gardening.

Need Help for Tree selection

Post by AmirNAWAZ »

Side View of my house
Side View of my house
Side View of my house
Side View of my house
Hi to all and thank you for reading and many more thanks to those who will reply.
I have bought a new house in Islamabad Emaar Villas which has a lawn on all four sides, I have 5 questions and would appreciate if you find some time to answer, I will try to add the picture if I can.

I need help in regarding choosing the right plants and right time for plantation.
I would number it for convenience:

1) Tall Fast growing Tree for Privacy between houses, height should be around 25 feets but should grow straight like Safeda tree but not Safeda, it should be ever green.(I was thinking of some sort of Bamboo but what type I am not sure)
2) I need a CREEPER for boundary wall fence which again is ever green and can grow thick. (my opinion was Bogambilia)
3) Again a creeper for the wall of garage, again ever green but it should grow in a thin layer just to cover the wall color (no idea for it)
4) and I want to fill the remaining garden with different Fruits trees here and there but want the names for best tasting ones, as same fruit can taste very different from different trees ( I was thinking Lemon, Cherry, Leeche, Citrus, Mango(Anwar Rathor), Olives, Grapes, small apples)
5) and what is best option of some type of palm tree at Entrance, (I was thinking of Dates tree)

Note, these pictures were made by a software called SKETCHUP, its free for download and very easy to use, I made this sketch in just a few hours, might be useful for landscaping.
Attachments
Front View of my house
Front View of my house
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Need Help for Tree selection

Post by M Farooq »

Welcome Amir sb. The sketches are really nice.

1) Tall Fast growing Tree for Privacy between houses, height should be around 25 feets but should grow straight like Safeda tree but not Safeda, it should be ever green.(I was thinking of some sort of Bamboo but what type I am not sure).

Conocarpus might serve your purpose to maintain privacy between houses. Check the nurseries. I am attaching the picture of trees that I planted 6-7 years ago. If Conocarpus does not fit, search Ficus plants.
Conocarpus.jpg
Conocarpus.jpg (72.9 KiB) Viewed 7642 times
2) I need a CREEPER for boundary wall fence which again is ever green and can grow thick. (my opinion was Bogambilia).
3) Again a creeper for the wall of garage, again ever green but it should grow in a thin layer just to cover the wall color (no idea for it)

What about passion flowers? You can look at the pictures in the plant database (~200 Pakistani garden plants with pictures)
http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewforum.php?f=37
. There is a very popular wall creeper in Islamabad. The name of that plant escapes from my mind now.

Good luck.
AmirNAWAZ

Post by AmirNAWAZ »

Thank you Mr. Farooq, this passion flower I checked is called PASSIFLORA INCENSE i suppose, and its really a very nice option, never saw this before.
Regarding Conocarpus tree, my brother also planted these a few years ago and looks exactly the same as yours, but yesterday he told me that he is planning to remove those as these trees have very strong roots and can damage the buildings infrastructure, so I am not very sure about Conocarpus.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

AmirNAWAZ wrote:Thank you Mr. Farooq, this passion flower I checked is called PASSIFLORA INCENSE i suppose, and its really a very nice option, never saw this before.
Regarding Conocarpus tree, my brother also planted these a few years ago and looks exactly the same as yours, but yesterday he told me that he is planning to remove those as these trees have very strong roots and can damage the buildings infrastructure, so I am not very sure about Conocarpus.
You are right, that is a valid concern. We had Ficus trees growing near the walls (but outside) and had no major issues. May be contact a professional for advice since it is a new house.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

> Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations for the new house. May you & family enjoy living here in peace, safety, happiness & good health. My views on your queries are as under:

. Fast Growing Trees. Possible choices are hedge Bamboo,’ Ulta Shauq’ & Ficus. Bamboo throws a lot of leaves litter & bends/ droops down after a strong wind/rain; Ulta Shauq’s centre stem being tender bends down & is also affected by severe cold/frost & high temperature;Ficus not as fast growing & is a full fledged tree,thus would require regular cutting as a hedge, becoming very difficult at height. I myself have therefore, gone for Bamboos, which have provided an effective privacy up to over 15 feet height. Picture:
20130923_180000.jpg
. Creeper for Fence/ Wall. Go for vines; possible choices: Passiflora,Clerodendrum,Garlic Vine,Trumpet Vine,’Mardan Rose’,Quisqualis,Bougainvillia & Golden Shower(if not planted elsewhere). Recommended: All or maximum of these, depending on space available & personal choice.Pictures are available in the Forum or can be seen on the internet.
. Creeper for Garage. The only evergreen & ‘thin layer’ creeper I can think of is Ivy. Also consider Virginia Creeper which drops its leaves after changing colour in autumn/winter, but looks beautiful even without these. Alternatively, go for evergreen Golden Shower, which has beautiful flowers in winter-a must on some window wall or porch or pergola of the house. See this image of both these together on the elevation of the house.
DSC00527.JPG
A view of Virginia Creeper when green in summer.
20130819_173102.jpg
. Fruit Trees. In open space, go for citrus ie, Sukri Malta ,Kino, Sangtara if you like, Grape Fruit, Eureka Lemon & Chinese Lemon ;Lychee, Mango of your choice but don’t expect the same quality as in its natural habitat, Peach, Plum ,Olive & some others also depending on space. In restricted space plant Papaya, Grapes on a trellis/wall, fig, apple, pomegranate, and guava. Remember to select only recommended & known varieties.
. Palms. Fish Tail & Fox Tail . Date Palm also looks good,if kept maintained. Some more may be recommended by others.

> Good luck.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

You don't get better advice than this :-). Thankyou sir for taking your time out.
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

Sir Munir, Thanks for detailed response, I was also looking for this .
Javed Ashraf.
AmirNAWAZ

Post by AmirNAWAZ »

Dear Mr. Munir, thank you for your reply. this weekend I am planning to visit some nurseries and with the data I got from here I am sure will be able to select something.. But I am sure after my visit again I will have some questions to ask you guys :)
@ Dear Mr. Farooq, with your advice I have contacted a professional who has a masters degree in landscaping and used to work for Lahore cant. I will share his opinions also, though they might be a bit costly opinions :)
actilla
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

stromectol дё­ж–‡

Post by actilla »

In absolute terms, this meant average annual rates of breast cancer were 3 <a href=https://stromectol.autos/>stromectol india</a>
accoure
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

brca1 tamoxifen

Post by accoure »

Ш±Щ€Ш§Щ‡ Ш§Щ„ШЄШ±Щ…Ш°ЩЉ Щ€Щ‚Ш§Щ„ Ш­ШЇЩЉШ« Ш­ШіЩ† <a href=http://nolvadex.one/>how long does it take for tamoxifen to start working</a>

Return to “Questions and Problems”