climber roses

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

farhan
City: karachi

climber roses

Post by farhan »

AOA

Has anybody grown climber roses like Don Juan or Zephirine in karachi?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: climber roses

Post by Izhar »

Climber roses yes but not Don Juan and Zephirine..
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

This is my Graham Thomas an Austin rose (middle one), blooming profusely nowadays:

farhan

Post by farhan »

I am looking for some fragrant roses (preferably climbers) that can grow easily in Karachi. For some unknown reasons roses dont do well here. SO any recommendations (preferably red and pink)? where can I get climbers in Karachi, havent seen them anywhere.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Rose do better if provided plenty of water... unfortunately the climbers are not available in Karachi, you have to get them from Lahore or Pattoki... in January many nurseries order roses in gaachi form, from the nurseries of Pattoki, they can be contacted and asked if they can get some climbers... you have to order 10-15 plants of each variety at least.. white banksia rose is available in Karachi...
farhan

Post by farhan »

I have tried growing them in pots, with general purpose NPK, foliar fertilizers and even Gutter khad, but they always die. I have never used any rose specific nutrient source or checked the PH/nutrient level of the soil. What do you do to keep them alive?

Where are Banksia available in Karachi? price? And how much fragrant are they?
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

farhan wrote: For some unknown reasons roses dont do well here.
Reason is very simple. Roses hate heat and humidity and both are in abundance in Karachi :D

Seeing the pics of Izhar sb's GT in Karachi, one can imagine the amount of care and growing expertise that has been exercised while growing this rose. It's not easy to keep roses that healthy in Karachi though GT is a very hardy rose, one of the 15 roses from Hall of Fame.

Zephrine Drowhin prefers cooler climate and in my guess, won't do well in Karachi but I have no personal experience of growing it in Karachi. You can try Graham Thomas, Golden Celebration, Abraham Durby. I have seen them growing well in Okara which is different from Karachi but not a very friendly environment for roses. Few more climbers that performed well were Night Life and Guy Savoy.

In my view, roses don't die due to shortage of fertilizers but because of poorly drained soil with unsuitable pH level, over watering, dehydration etc.
best regards
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

BTW, except Guy Savoy which has mild fragrance, all others have strong fragrance :)
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Thank you KBW for compliment...:mrgreen:

The most important thing as mentioned already is the DRAINAGE..!!

Roses loved to be deeply watered daily but the water should drain within 5 minutes of watering... I have experimented in growing a rose in pure composted manure, without soil... its a success!! will post the pic tomorrow.. IMHO no need to fertilize roses initially for two months, then start regular very low dosing of NPK.. they loved to be washed daily..

Banksia is a common rose but it blooms once a year during December to March, it is mildly fragrant..
Boorneked
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

can doxycycline prevent coronavirus

Post by Boorneked »

Return to “Questions and Problems”