How Much Sun is required for Tomato Plant in Pots?

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

faisalj75
City: Karachi

How Much Sun is required for Tomato Plant in Pots?

Post by faisalj75 »

I successfully planted tomatoes from seeds, now they are about 1feet tall with fisrt blossom and I just transfer them in a bigger pots, I would like to know much direct sun light required in Karachi weather? At the moment I placed them in a spot where they have direct sun light for almost 6 hours a day.
Attachments
2012-03-15-003.jpg
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: How Much Sun is required for Tomato Plant in Pots?

Post by Izhar »

They will require semi shade by the end of this month.. like from a fine net cloth e.g. mosquito nets..
sweetpaki

Post by sweetpaki »

well big bro already answered to ur question so no need of any1...... anyway letme simplify more....my uncle has grown already so it's better to provide atleast 6 hours sunshine or it could be better to provide over 8 hours sunshine when your plants grown and close to blooms try to provide as much sun as you can it'll produce more fruits..........i just shared what my uncle said :)
It's Ali Raza Here...student of BBA in FAST.....i've a site which is
http://sharez4all.com/
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

One thing I wanted to clear is that our summer sun is very intense so it may burn the leaves and dehydrate the plant, duration of sunlight should be maximum but not the intensity, hope you got my point..

You must support your plants with stakes or any thing which can promote its straight upward growth.. if you pluck the flowers at this stage then you plants will be more healthy and the yield will be increased.. as general rule of thumb, first 2-3 flowering bunches should be plucked off..
sweetpaki

Post by sweetpaki »

hey izhar this pot size will be enough for fruiting??????or should he need to transplant later ????
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Its a good pot size for tomatoes, no need to transplant further...
sweetpaki

Post by sweetpaki »

where can i buy this pot only while there are on nursery but they will charge a bit higher as compare to clay pot shop...i guess..... i need almost 100 clay post can any one letme know how much will it cost and from where......thankz...
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

There is a Kumhar parra at Surjani town, you can get as many pots from there...
faisalj75

Post by faisalj75 »

As you advice Izhar bhai, i just made a support system with bamboo sticks, also I plucked the first blooms. Keeping my figures crossed for good results :) Moreover an advice I took from a Gardner which I would like to share is that if you are placing your pots on a tiled or concrete floor where 5-6 hrs sun shines just used old carpet/Bori pieces underneath each pot to protect roots from the overheating from floor.
Izhar wrote:One thing I wanted to clear is that our summer sun is very intense so it may burn the leaves and dehydrate the plant, duration of sunlight should be maximum but not the intensity, hope you got my point..

You must support your plants with stakes or any thing which can promote its straight upward growth.. if you pluck the flowers at this stage then you plants will be more healthy and the yield will be increased.. as general rule of thumb, first 2-3 flowering bunches should be plucked off..
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Hi faisal! if you are growing tomatoes in karachi your plants will get infested with spider mites and soon they will die down :( , i've seen the pics you have posted they are going great right now, but as soon the first wave of summer heat hits they will be in great problem :o .
I have about 2 years of tomato growing experience in pots and im my finding the pot cherry bush type tomatoes do best when planted in fall say in early september, so this means that you have to get your plants started from seed in the mid of august and transplant them in september to get bumper crops without having the threat of being attacked by bugs :) and about the sun the plants will do great in full outdoor sun in the winters ;)

Return to “Questions and Problems”