Plants for Shady Area

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Hayats
City: Rawalpindi

Plants for Shady Area

Post by Hayats »

The rear lawn of my house gets very little sun during winter and few hours during summer. In winter the korean grass turns yellow and fungus appears in some parts.

I have planted sogo palm, Ficus Starlight Phoenix palm at the place where the lawn gets little sun in winter. The plants are doing fine. Now I want to add some plants in the shady areas where there is no sun light. Please guide me on plants that will survive shady & damp area.
Hayats

Re: Plants for Shady Area

Post by Hayats »

There are few plants that are in the rear lawn where they get sun in the morning. I know sogo palm & Ficus Starlight but don't know the name of this 3rd plant.
Attachments
Rear_Lawn_3.jpg
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

for flowering plants cineraria was my best experience in shady spot

you can try also try following

Pansy
Ajuga
Cane Palm
Table Palm
American/Parlor Palm
Phoenix palm
Lady Finger Palm
Money Plant
Ribbon Grass
Dwarf Mondo Grass
Araucaria
Beaucarnea
Ti Plant
Star Yucca
Juniper
Elephant Plant
Rubber Plant
Butcher's Broom
Schefflera
Arrowhead Vine
Beaucarnea
Ti Plant
Star Yucca
Juniper
Elephant Plant
Rubber Plant
Butcher's Broom
Schefflera
Arrowhead Vine
Snake plant
Aloe vera
Agave
Foxtail Fern

any there are more....above mentioned did fine for me
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

HAYAT I’m afraid your Sago palm will not progress in your back garden and as its very clear from the pic it need good sun light to grow and perform well or you will lose it, there are some other types of palms that can perform good in shady areas, you can try golden palm, cat palm and try the fern family because they are very good for shady areas and elephant family is also good, try different type of local money plants that are very easily available in our local nurseries and are easy to maintain.
actually most plants do need sunlight naturally so it’s really hard to find some good no of choices but try these I hope they will perform well in your garden.
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Hayats

Post by Hayats »

Thank you for the tips. I will try Fern & Elephant families and few others. Regarding Sogo palm, its mainly because the mali changed its place several times so it has gone through a difficult time. It is about to bring on fresh branches which I am sure will be healthy.

Return to “Questions and Problems”