PORTULACA SUNDIAL,the garden jewels

A Master Gardener and a Rosarian from Marden/Islamabad

Moderator: Izhar

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

PORTULACA SUNDIAL,the garden jewels

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

The Paper mint looks just like compact Rosa paper mint.
Rosa Paper mint
OKRA F-1 ADVANTA
OKRA F-1 ALI AKBAR.for those who want quality of f-1 hybrid with traditional taste.i really like Ali akbar F-1.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: PORTULACA SUNDIAL,the garden jewels

Post by aykhan »

Khan saheb what are the white spots on the rose leaves? Is it anti fungal? How frequently are you spraying these day?
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

i don't know sometimes no photo is appearing for me in posts ?
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Dr sb its spots of dust after light showers in spring.this is an old picture taken last spring.i posted it just to compair it with sundial paper mint.yes i use Fungicides on weekly bases.now its time to use fungicides because the moonson is on.the humid wet weather cases rust,powdery mildew & downy mildew.i use Bayer,s Antracol,alliete fungicides both at the same time.Antracol covers the Downy while the other covers Powdery & rust.khan sb i m so much in love with roses this year i may not plant other annuals.i want to concentrate on roses only.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Khan saheb I think you and me are the only two on this forum with a more than normal love for roses. I plan on planting 11 more roses next week and will be removing some bushes I have duplicates of. I have been diligent with spraying this year and hopefully can avoid the massacre I had to do with my roses last year due to fungus. My cutting are better plants now and hopefully I will see some good blooms this Fall.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Yes i have realized it long time ago.you are a real rose lover.the only difference is that you only prefer the fragrant varieties.but after all rose is the Queen of the flowers.its good if you have grown own root bushes.do not plant roses in monsoon.wait for early spring when the roses are still in dormancy.in monsoon we can lose 80% stock.monsoon is good for budding.i,l try to make Ice berg standard this season with two color head.i,l bud the traditional white ice berg & brilliant ice berg on same stem.as both will be ice berg so all the the treats will be same but color.it is a nice standard is,t it.i,l bud on 4 ft high stems.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Khan saheb where did you get the root-stock for the standards budding? I would also like to budd some standards.
haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Post by haris.kabir »

"Khan saheb I think you and me are the only two on this forum with a more than normal love for roses"
LOL :D True that !

I dont really get impressed by this 'queen' of flowers. Even the fragrance reminds me of Mazars and Qabaristans. :D
shocking pink rose petals u see every where. But I recall falling in rose with a beautiful 'English rose' a long time ago. Also the bushes get full of blooms which does not leave it very unique. I find an exotic amaryllis or single bloom of bird of paradise or Nerine flower surrounded by thick foliage much more appealing than a bush full of roses. :)
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

All plants have their own qualities and fragrant shrubs are another passion for me. Recently I am going crazy for fragrant vines! I think my hobby is young and in the next few years I will probably know for sure what my passion is in plants. I have Nerine huttoniae and Nerine laticoma and a couple of more Nerine varities which I hope bloom for me someday. No doubt Amaryllis is exotic. But as Lahories often say Lahore Lahore Ey no matter how much better another city is, I will say Gulab baharhaal Gulab hai :D
haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Post by haris.kabir »

Ahahahahahha...
Fragrant vines, sounds interesting. Which ones do you have/ looking for ?
I am going crazy collecting autumn flowering bulbous plants. Again I do not like every bulbous plant, It should be in proper geometry and size. yesterday I ordered a bulb of Amarine (shocking pink with a slight touch of purple) it is huge hybrid flower which is also fragrant ! And Gladiolus byzantinus. They are very beautiful aswel. Lets see when I get them. Which other varieties do u have of Nerine ? I got a few bulbs of some unknown nerine few weeks back from F 8 markaz. I am searching for Nerine Sarniensis ( very bright colored with large thickly packed flower cluster)

Return to “Umar Khan's Garden”