Garden Log 2014-15

A Novice's Journey of Gardening

Moderator: Izhar

rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Re: Garden Log 2014-15

Post by rafique »

We love your garden and narration. We are always there to enjoy the fruit of your efforts whenever there is update in your thread. May Allah Bless You Always.
Rafique
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Beautiful. The ensign is not red but pink ensign and my plants foliage attracted lots of insects (It appears in your case too). Not a healthy foliage. I do not think they will survive summers for me, i will try cuttings though. I lover their color though.

Yes aquilegia winky also flowering for me but flower size is too small. Instead, I love the single one, large flowers and keep going. Indeed it is difficult to germinate it in plains, mostly germinated and prepared in murree then brought it to plains. But i too much desire to try various single varieties of aquilegia in Lahore.

Generally speaking, a bulb should be allowed to form clumps and should not be divided until you feel that it is too much of a large clump. But i have noticed that some bulbs produce offsets on the expense of producing flowers specially when they are not given their ideal micro climate. My amarcrinum and belladonna lilies are example of these.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thankyou Khabbab for elaboration.

Rose infliction by Rafique Bhai. These are some that i planted at my office, hoping that they will continue to spread colors after my departure.

Sorry i don't remember their names

its a climber

muhammadimran7
City: rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: growing from seeds

Post by muhammadimran7 »

lovely roses
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thanks All

Weekly update, fending rain and heat
For a moment it appeared as rain won’t come as heavy as predicted, a glimmer of hope emerged, but often it is the tail of the system which is more violent. A single heavy spell was all that did the damage. What was followed was a hectic spell of rectification. Staking did the job, but one can’t do anything about constant wet conditions which result in root rot. Apprehensions did prove right and landscape was damaged. Important thing to note is that if a plant is sheared earlier due to any factor, the second flush is altogether least tolerant of rain spoil and plant will quickly start to die.
Our Spring is wet spring…and I believe rain tolerance should be a must factor in our future spring plantations. While selecting annual/herbaceous plants we must consider wet condition tolerance, chances of flopping and flower resistance to rain and must also include them in our databases for spring blooming plants.
Post rain bright sun brings with it multifold problems, High UV, windy conditions and disturbance of water cycle. Little can be done to this points and become uncontrolled....at this stage i believe garden is to be left as it wills.....

All pots were relocated to sheltered position….only thing I could do against rain.

Rainbow smile over the garden and an unusual visitor, Pinkish hummingbird moth. Unlike others it wasn't shy at all and did not bother about my presence.

Post Rain Picture, notice various plants have been sheared due extensive spoil. Such as Linums, nemesias and brachycome

Another angle with other half of the garden...Morning and evening pictures.

Most favorited border evolving further with geraniums and poppies coming up. Phlox Promise (dwarf) is one real beauty and most recommended. Linaria barely living post rain

Cinerarias should be planted with a stagger for constant display

Centranthus Ruber....has shown good overall growth. Its perennial nature is yet to be proven. Just starting to bloom. Has light fragrance as contrary to what Izhar registered. maybe due to better weather here.

Another late Bloomers....Delphinium fountain mix

Ixias are a tall plant. Growth about 2 feet with slender flower stalks. Appears to be very heat hardy

Digitalis performing better in part sun

Early blooms of clarkia, and what a lovely plant it is....lets see how does clarkia apple blossom turns out

Snapdragon purple twist. bi-colored variation. Seedling grown

Admiral standing tall. owing to timely staking. Best shape in three years that i have been able to achieve

Madame butterfly

Another most recommended plant is double flowered Dianthus. Has much more character and height

Nicotania tinkerbell self sowed by hundreds and not only came true but has also shown nice variations in green and pink

Another plant which i believe has performed best this year compared to previous owing to trellis.

Most should be demanded from annuals by deadheading....favorite combination as it evolves....

Generally speaking Petunia grandiflora has a single day flower life, white perform better in heat, however interestingly frillytunia exhibits much much longer flower life and none flower spoil due rain/dew

Venidiums are a tall plants and should be in middle of border, moreover importantly each stem has only one flower, therefore entire stems requires to be cut down for better look.

Double flowered columbine, alstromeria and tooth ache

What a lovely plant it is, Lagnus Ovatus. and interesting it comes true from seed.

Ranunculus from seed....smaller and fewer flowers

A mali told me and now i concur. pansies perform better in full sun (also in ground)...they tend to get lankier in shade.

Perennial Oxalis

Various Rudbeckias turning out nicely

Gypsophalia companion ed with candytuft, linaria and linum

Dahlias are very late this season...and mostly turning out to be single

I will not grow wallflowers again. Though hybrids have a better growth habit it is flower spoil which keep the plant untidy.

Brachyome, you have to grow it to appreciate it

Various....
Helichrysums

Poppies...few survived the rain wrath. Climate wise poppies can be grown but not without foliage damage....

Emilia in Orange

and scarlet at their best

Sweetpea promise. Seed gifted by tahir

osteospermum. Seed gifted by Rafique Bhai

Linums as they were just before rains...not any more

lastly some roses....
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Great pics... from where you got this double dianthus? Centranthus responds well to pinching, it is least effected by the heat in Karachi as yet.. Farhan, in your area geraniums would be perennial. right? in this compactly filled garden, what type of pests you encounter? the calendula you have posted is extremely beautiful I think its from princess series, I am unable to find its seeds.. if you can manage, kindly save its seeds for me..
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Gorgeous flowers. Specially frillytunia. Love the delphs as well.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

If you were to choose only 5 Five annuals for your garden.Which will they be for the first, second and third year.
Arif
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Gorgeous Garden... Dianthus is very beautiful...
muhammadimran7
City: rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: growing from seeds

Post by muhammadimran7 »

beautiful display
can osteospermum sown as summer annual?

Return to “Farhan Ahmed's Cottage Garden”