Cyclamen & Begonias

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Cyclamen & Begonias

Post by mikhurram »

KBW sahib,

just wanted to share with you as that these days in Lahore/Islamabad, one can collect the seeds of Cyclamen from flowers which fade. The seeds are sown immediately in Lahore/Islamabad by the nurseries. Around April/May the seedlings are taken to Murree to protect them from the summer heat and these raised from seed start flowering within two years. Even the bulbs of the unsold Cyclamen are also sent to Murree around the same time period along with the seedlings and are able to survive in Murree as they cannot stand the heat of our plains from May onwards.

Here in Canada, the seeds can be stored and sown them when the weather starts warming up ideally when the weather is around 25' C similar to the climate of Lahore these days. Plant shops selling these Cyclamens in Canada can also be asked about the ideal time for sowing in Canada. I suspect weather there would remain cold till April as snow would be likely to remain till March. The conditions in Canada are same as that of of Murree and these plants bulbs can be saved easily for next year.

regards,
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Khurram sahib, thanks for the information. I am aware of this and will collect the seeds by the end of this month because now I have stopped dead heading the spent buds. I was doing it during summers because if I wont do it, the plants would have made seed at that time and reduced flowering drastically. When I come back, will gift these seeds and bulbs to someone living in cooler areas. :D
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

I have enjoyed this beauty for a long time at Abbottabad.What a flower that i can not enjoy at Mardan.The one at nurseries are not of the top quality.

Return to “KBW's Garden”