Roses 2013 (newly planted, mostly)....

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Roses 2013 (newly planted, mostly)....

Post by KBW »

Yes, I agree. :)

I believe roses should not be compared with other flowers. They should only be compared with roses....
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

As a flower lover i love all Roses,flowering shrubs,annuals.its a matter of personal taste.Farhan when i was a new gardener i wished every thing in my garden.but at one point you say yes this is my most loved & you concentrate on that.so two things which i can never avoid roses & annuals in separate colors.but separate colors give you less choice.i mostly plant Snapdragons,Petunias & pansies.Frankly speaking separate colors planted in masses give maximum impact.this is very true when we say about annuals & bulbs.i love bulbs enjoyed every type in past but now i don,t prefer because of their short blooming time.Specially TULIPS look beautiful when you plant a dozen of same variety.Roses are also not that much easy.Specially in moonson when you have to compete with fungus & black spot.So gardeners its a matter of personal taste.i have joined forum to enjoy all that i don,t have in my garden.Farhan you have improved & now you are a MASTER.When i saw your Mimulus i realised because even the experts some times fail to make it like this.Mimulus is my most favorite annual for three reasons.it grows where others fail,full shade & moist damp locations.secondly has runners covers the bed inch by inch & thirdly the blooming power is is superb.What is stopping me to grow it is separate colors.But i think i,l go for it next season even in mix colors.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Umar Sahab ..........:-)
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:.....but at one point you say yes this is my most loved & you concentrate on that.
Absolutely. One would like to have everything in his garden but it is not possible. Many of us (including me) have tried to achieve that and are still trying to achieve it; however, it would stay an ever-receding mirage. At the end of the day I believe, one must do cost / effort vs reward comparison and select a few things which are hardy, need less maintenance and are more rewarding over the year. A few annuals as per choice can be added to this every year.

Quest to grow everything becomes counter-productive over the years as one can't spare the time which is needed and failures (which are bound to happen due to other committments) tend to take a person away from this wonderful hobby. I think the key is to keep it simple and manageable.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

I agree with the final golden sentence. Sao batoon ki aik baat! I dare add; not only on ground but in this forum also .
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Lets come back to rose..........yes simple and manageable they are
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

OK, a few more simple and menageable roses....

This is probably Fragrant Cloud. Umar sb please confirm. It is more bright orange than it looks in the picture. Strongly scented, it is blooming very well.

This one is also scented. Clusters of beatiful bright crimson flowers. Don't know the name. :( (Tried to search on the net but there are so many similar looking roses)

Changa sb says name of this rose is something like Alted New. Searched it but found no rose with name. :( It is bright Crimson and reverse side of the petals is smoky white. Flower size is medium and is lightly scented. Nevertheless, despite being a compact bush, it is doing well in my garden. Was planted in end Feb.

And Helen Naude is fast becoming my favourite. It was planted a week back and it is flowering continuously though the flower size has reduced a little. Strongly scented. Umar bhai, could it be Sunny Sky :roll: :?
http://www.treloarroses.com.au/products ... 637&cID=20

There are so many thousands and thousands of rose cultivars that it is difficult to identify roses from pics alone. In most pics, the colour may not be truly reflected and plant's shape is not visible. Similar looking roses are difficult to recognise :(
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

This one flowered few days back. Look like Glamis Castle but I am not sure. When it was purchased, flowers had prominent cup shape, typical of english roses.

Is it Glamis Castle?? :?
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

More roses are flowering now though the flower size is still not very large...

First flower of Scentimental

Saeeda Kareem is flowering well.

Helen Naude surprise me every time as every new flower is more beautiful than the previous..

This one is Moulinex or The Pilgrim, I am not sure. The bush is still not very strong but it has started flowering. Seetly scented and ooks very nice.

I really like the different shape and strange smoky red colour of Cinco de Mayo. Camera lens has been unable to capture the actual shade. Mildly scented. I am expecting a good bloom as the bush is healthy and I can already see lot of buds developing.

Many are yet to flower as they were planted late. :(
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

KBW my practice is that i don,t let the bush flower in first year.i remove all the flower buds in first year in order to promote healthy growth.next year the plant is very healthy & produce large number of blooms & of big size.in my opinion remove any further flower buds.let the bushes establish this year.

Return to “KBW's Garden”