hnasir
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Orchids
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Re: Roses - 2015

Post by hnasir »

KBW same thing happened with me.. When fresh roses came in "gachi" from Punjab this winter, I sorted across many roses sticking my nose in each and every one. I found a striped red/white rose with a fragrance outta this world. Now exctied I let it grow only to find out it's scentimental which did smell as awesome as it did when I got it!
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Scentimental is a top quality rose by any standards. After all, it hasn't won so many awards for nothing. Take good care of it and it will delight for years to come.... BTW, I have a healthy 5 years old bush of scentimental with a thick stem :D
hnasir
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

Sorry I meant which did not smell as awesome* .. Scentimental does best in the cold, otherwise the fragrance and flowers just wither away
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Hamza, i was just thinking to say that Scentimental in my experience had mild to no fragrance ....
hnasir
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

I got that fragrant gachi rose with you if you remember from where we got double delight behind KU. It was so fragrant. And turned out to be scentimental which didn't do much :/
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

I have two Scentimental bushes. One is around 5 years old with a thick trunk and other is a young bush. Blooms are highly fragrant and the older bush is producing loads of quite fragrant blooms even in May and June when many other roses have lost fragrance or are just lightly fragrant. During hot weather however, the blooms are more red but in cooler months, white dominates.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

These potted rose bushes were purchased from UK on 9 May. Remained enclosed in the suite case for 14 hrs and were replanted in Islamabad in hot temperature. All have survived and within 30 days, many have grown well and started blooming. Shown below are the first blooms produced on 8 May and 9 May. I dead head the plant after taking pics.

farah fayyaz
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

Lovely,lovely and lovely. What elese can I say after having a look on your post. Thier survival after travelling 14 hrs. Oh my God. They are catching every one's attention. Specialyy Benjamin Brittin. They are stealing the heart.
Thanks alot for sharing these beauties.
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

Beautiful collection of roses.
Javed Ashraf.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Thanks. Transporting grown up rose bushes in this weather was a big risk. Transporting bare root roses in winter is not much of a problem but growing bushes was risky. I had to trim the bush to the smallest feasible size, leaving a few leaves, remove as much soil from root ball as I could and then wrap them in a paper and then putting them in a suite case. Not a wise thing to do and I would not recommend this to anyone but I did it myself.

What would you do if you get into a place like this? I just couldn't resist...... :)

I wish I could buy more. And look at the health of these roses. They are all minimum two years old or more, having two to three thick stems. Not like the Pakistani roses bred in Pattoki which are sold just in a state of infancy.

Return to “KBW's Garden”