Plant Lover Reborn!!

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Plant Lover Reborn!!

Post by KBW »

@farhan137
Sir, seeing the pic, it appears that the plants are not healthy. I am not sure about Aquilegia Viridiflora Chocolate Soldier but some of the aquilegias do not perform well from after market seeds, if the seeds are not fresh. Secondly, some of them when sown from seed wouldn't flower first year. It's better to buy grown up plants that way. If you see the natural habitats of Aquilegias, they almost grow in natural leaf mould or soil containing lot of leaf mould which keeps the soil moist all the time. When I planted my aquilegias (which were established plants bought from nursery), the potted mix contained three parts leaf mould and one part bhal. When flowering, the soil needs to be kept moist all the time but the drainage has to be good. They do well in deppled shade and do not like full sun.

BTW, Aquilegia fragrans is a native Pakistani variety found in Kashmir / Hamalayan portion of Northern Areas. It's a treat to see them growing under the shade of pine trees along side ferns. They get frequent rains in summers in their natural habitat but good drainage is very important. I am not sure about the cultivar that I have but it looks like a dwarf cultivar of Aquilegia fragrans. It has slight fragrance too. :)

About the rose identification thread I will keep posting the pics as and when I get time, on regular basis. But at the moment, can any rose expert confirm the names of roses shown in the pics above. :)
regards
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

The cream coloured with spicey fragrance is Double delight may be planted in shade so it lacking the pink colour.the second one medium fragrant may be Sheila,s perfume.S.P is not as strongly fragrant as D.D.
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Umar bhai,
As per Changa sb of Pattoki from whom I bought all these roses, cream one is Helen Naude and the pink one with white lines is Henri Matisse. But information from net says that Helen Naude is not fregrant. The one that I have, though it closely resembles Helen Naude pics available on the net, is very fregrant. In fact more fragrant than Century II and Whisky Mac that I have. And than, the flower lasts a long time. This is the pic of Helen Naude flower after 7 days and it still retains a very strong fragrance. The picture posted earlier was the second day of the bloom...

I counted the petals and there were 35 petals.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Brother its nor Double delight cause your rose bush seems to be in full sun.it not even Halen Naude cause helen does not have fragrance.its also cherri parfait cause cherri is non fragrant.KBW its Secret.look for Secret on the net & you will get your answer.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Even the second rose pink & yellow blend is not.h.matisse.If it has perfume its Shil,s perfume.for Henry matessi see the delberd painters collection.Henri is flowering in my garden these days.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Brother its nor Double delight cause your rose bush seems to be in full sun.it not even Halen Naude cause helen does not have fragrance.its also cherri parfait cause cherri is non fragrant.KBW its Secret.look for Secret on the net & you will get your answer.
Umar bhai, I am still confused. Comparing with pics available on various internet sources, the shape, colour and shade of the flower resembles more with Helen Naude as compared to Secret. Even many sources mention that Helen Naude is fragrant also but not strongly scented. The one that I have is strongly scented and Changa sb is very sure that it is Helen Naude. He says that he has Secret also which is different. Secret has smaller flowers and Helen Naude has much larger flowers and an upright bush. :?
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Update...

Like the burgundy colour in this Aquilegea.

Dehlias are on bloom.

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Very nice dahlias. I tried them again this year but I'm never able to be too careful with them so they never really thrive with me. Will try harder next year insha'Allah.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Beautiful..
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

once i used to grow these beauties.nothing compete them but frankly speaking they are not for our climate.to day i visited a friend of mine.he has a very nice garden.he told he has also stopped growing dahlias due to same reason.what i saw was his gerberas.he has some 200 florist gerberas.

Return to “KBW's Garden”