Cyclamen & Begonias

A Seasoned Gardener & Rose Lover

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Cyclamen & Begonias

Post by KBW »

Cyclamen, the little gems, are still flowering. I have shifted them inside on the window sill.

Look at the foliage. Even if there were no flowers, I would love to grow a plant like that on my window sill. Flowers are a real bonus.

My camera lens has not been able to capture the true colour which is always a problem with reds. It is actually dark crimson. I think I will have to take the pics very early in the morning to capture the true colours. May be a better lens is in the offing too. Perhaps a good prime lens or a micor lens too.

Look at the shape this little beauty has acquired. I really love the drooping flowers. The plants have hardly ever been fed with any water other than rainwater. The acidic pH of rain water is very good for cyclamen, azaleas and rhododendrons.

This begonia is still flowering. I have already shifted them inside because the temperature at ni outside is around -2 to -3.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Re: Cyclamen & Begonias

Post by Munir »

Exceptionally beautiful!
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Very Beautiful. Cyclamens these days have started arriving in nurseries from Murree and the prices have doubled in recent years from Rs 150 to Rs 300. Despite the jump in prices, they are worth buying as they will bloom nonstop till February. As flowers fade, new flower shoot keep on emerging and in addition there is a wide range of colour available from white, dark pink, shocking pink, light and dark red.
KBW sahib the only colour missing in Cyclamens is the dark red colour which would make your display more dazzling.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Beautiful esp. the colour of Begonia is unique! How long do the blooms last?
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Munir sb, thanks. :)

Khurram sb, actually the red shown in pic two is very dark red but in the pics it appears like dark crimson whereas it is dark maroon. I am still keeping the cyclamen outside where the temperature at night goes to -2. In next few days, I will bring them inside in the window sill where they will get enough light.

Farooq sb, yes this is a very delightful orange. The flowers last around 15 days or even more. These begonias are really stunning.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Beautiful plant. You have put them inside from protection of frost or Cold?
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Cyclamen are still outside but will be brought in within few days. Begonias are inside as they are more tender.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

i have failed my attempt with CYCLAMIN as they need a lot of cold weather constatnt below 15 C, i dont think they can survive either in ISL/LHR/KHI. Begonias are a real charm and give continuous blooms through out winter/spring.
Asim_Nawaz
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Beautiful Cyclamen plant.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

KBW sahib,

just wanted to share with you as that these days in Lahore/Islamabad, one can collect the seeds of Cyclamen from flowers which fade. The seeds are sowed immediately by nurseries in Lahore/Islamabad. Around April/May the seedlings are taken to Murree where they flower within a span of two years. Even the bulbs of the unsold Cyclamen are also sent to Murree around the same time period along with the seedlings and are able to survive in Murree as they cannot stand the heat of our plains from May onwards.

Here in Canada, the seeds can be stored and sown them when the weather starts warming up ideally when the weather is around 25' C similar to the climate in Lahore these days. Plant shops selling these Cyclamens can also be asked abou the ideal time for sowing in Canada. I suspect weather there would remain cold till April. The conditions in Canada are same as that of of Murree and these plants can be saved easily for next year.

regards,

Return to “KBW's Garden”