HYCINTHS - From bulbs to Blooms

Cultivation Guide for various Bulbous Plants in Our Climate

Moderator: Izhar

Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Re: HYCINTHS - From bulbs to Blooms

Post by Tahir Khan »

Welcome back Adnan bhai :) ... Magnificent post i will certainly follow this technique this season.
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Well come Back Adnan sb with great knowledge bearing stuff.

Are hycinth bulbs sold here in pakistan have already gone through this pre-chilling process as they do bloom without pre-chilling?

Regards
Rafique
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Happy to see you back after a long absence.I always remember you whenever I see the Plumeria plants( 2 survivals)-now about 6-8 inches, grown from seeds gifted by you.Thank you, ever.
About Hycinths: Aren't the results better if the bulb is placed suspended just above the surface of water,say in a glass jar? What is preferable?
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

rafique wrote:Well come Back Adnan sb with great knowledge bearing stuff.

Are hycinth bulbs sold here in pakistan have already gone through this pre-chilling process as they do bloom without pre-chilling?

Regards
Yes Rafique most of the bulbs in Pak are coming from Europe so they are naturally chilled, but in case an artificial chilling is an additional assurance, these Hycinths should be discarded once used , they will bloom inferior in quality next year, but they do produce bulblets, that is why sometimes we found Hycinths blooms of low quality as they have passed their prime bloom last year or so. Specially low cost Lilliums, Hycinths available in Pak are of same class.they will rarely bloom of the qualiy we see on internet unless u r lucky to have a bulb of that sort.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor

Post by Syed Adnan »

munir wrote:Happy to see you back after a long absence.I always remember you whenever I see the Plumeria plants( 2 survivals)-now about 6-8 inches, grown from seeds gifted by you.Thank you, ever.
About Hycinths: Aren't the results better if the bulb is placed suspended just above the surface of water,say in a glass jar? What is preferable?
Dear ! Munir Saahab, so glad to know your Plumerias survived, do share some photos when they bloom, about Hycinths, I tried the technique of water in a jar rather than soil, but , I couldn't succeed, once I read Khabab post in which he mentioned about this technique. I will try again next season.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Talking of poison else where in forum :-)...........Daffodil Bulbs are poisonous. If stored in fridge, should be labelled or segregated in a way that no one takes them as onions :-)
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Great Adnan sb! I love the fragrance of hyacinths. One plant is enough to make its presence felt in the room!
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

Poison everywhere :o
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor

Post by Syed Adnan »

Yes they are poisonous , so do keep them in separate apartment in fridge or some gardeners are keeping a separate old fridge for the bulbs, as they say "Shoq da koi mol nahin" :lol: , moreover If you are storing bulbs, or putting them in a refrigerator to force, it is important to remember that ripening fruit puts off an ethylene gas that will kill flower buds in bulbs. So no apples, etc in there with those bulbs! Better to wrap them in plastic and mark them, check every 15 days, to avoid all this.

Believe me it is not that difficult after all iam doing this regularly and next month iam going to put my Narcissus in fridge again. :D
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

I will tag my daffs with 'Stay away, do not eat, POISON' and place em in the fridge :D

Return to “Bulb Growing Guides”