Moderator: Izhar

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Re: Bulbous plant’s Guide and FAQs

Post by Hamad »

khabbab wrote:Guys, be cool. Let's concentrate on the technical discussion. A new reader will not be attracted, if you know what i mean :)

We can also break down this topic into planting guide, FAQ and list of viable tubers list. It is already 3 pages with lots of stuff remaining.

The FAQ should reflect those questions coming in the minds of pakistani(or any other hot climate native) newbie or intermediate gardeners. Some examples are following:
- How can i save dahlia tubers?
- Should i go for dahlia tubers or cuttings?
- Why my amaryllis (hippeastream) is not producing offsets?
- Should i buy a bulb with a bud or buy a bulb without a flower bud
etc etc.

If we create one topic for each tuber/bulb then its related FAQ, planting depth, DO's, DONTs can be included in that topic. It will help for example a newbie asking some questions about a particular bulb. If we go into this direction then we can start with the famous ones like dahlia, glad, freesia etc.

Suggestions and inputs will be appreciated.
Khabbab sb I think its a great idea, as we already have few detailed description of each bulb in Floral Database under bulbous Alphabetic index, we can introduce FAQs under the details of each bulb in this way it will be under one heading, details and related FAQs, and we can have the above basic information hyperlinked under index Page but on the top as an introduction to bulb for Novice/Beginners.
I suggest keep this thread for information only and you may delete the above discussion, if you feel.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Madiha Humbal
City: Karachi

Post by Madiha Humbal »

ASSALAM_O_ALAIKUM,
i am an unexperienced gardner and in love with bulbs. i would like to know which types of bulbs spring and fall can i grow in Karachi. and also some guidelines to where i can find them please. And is it possible to grow them in containers.
JAZAKALLAH
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

WAS

we are all learning my friend and bulbous plants are indeed lovable, I must recommend you to start with the easy once and you could have Amaryllis, Canna, Caladium, Dahlia, Freesia, Glads, Ground Orchids, Iris and Tuberose for most of them planting time is from Fall to Spring and Blooming time is from Spring to Summer, for further information you could have a look into following links for Bulbous Database viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2663 where you will find all the information to grow and care for some itmes mentioned above as we are still working on this and for viable bulbous plants you could look into follwing link viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2506 for better understanding of what could survive in our climate and what not and I hope you manage to get some information form this thread as well to have a better understanding of what a bulbous plant is, how to care for them and effect of climate on bulbs.

I hope this would help ;)

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

Thankyou very Hamad sahab for your info. but can u please tell me if if can find the bulbs in normal nurseries or garden shops. or any local grdening website to buy the bulbs from. that would be really appreciated.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Select and mention your desired bulbous plants and l will let know the sources to get them in Karachi.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

I want whit and pink rain lilies but haven't been able to find any source in Islamabad or Pindi...Please if anyone can help out :roll:
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

i will send you white rain lilies along with seeds for seed bank please pm me your address.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Thanks Hamad bhai, i'll PM you my address :)
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

Izhar wrote:Select and mention your desired bulbous plants and l will let know the sources to get them in Karachi.
Thankyou Izhar sahab. my wish list is as follows
Canna
Dahlia
Freesia
Gladilous
Ground Orchids
iris
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Canna: from most of the nurseries near Karachi University and on Korangi Road

Dahlia: tubers are not available but right now you can find small plant of size AA flower. Visit Shaheen Nursery in Gulistan-e-Johr near Samama Shopping mall. Nurseries near Karachi University also have the small plants of Dahlia

Freesia, Gladiolus, Dutch Iris:you can get corms and rhizomes from seeds shops in Lahore & Islamabad via Pakistan Post e.g. Sunny View seeds, Pride seed store, Chanandin seeds, City Seeds, Awan garden

Ground Orchids & Louisiana iris: Available only as plants, Nurseries on Korangi Road. Visit Makkah nursery, Diamond Nursery and Sailors nursery.

Return to “Bulb Growing Guides”