problems with bulbs

Cultivation Guide for various Bulbous Plants in Our Climate

Moderator: Izhar

Madiha Humbal
City: Karachi

problems with bulbs

Post by Madiha Humbal »

dear gardeners,
i havent had much experience with gardening. but i tried my hands with bulbs. i ordered the bulbs for Gladiolus, Freesia, anemone, hyacinth, and dutch iris. i planted the bulbs in seven inch diameter pots. one hyacinth per each pot and four of others in each pot. my hyacinths bloomed really well. but the other plants did not. although they did produce amazing foliage, but they failed to produce flowers. so i contacted the person who sold me the bulbs and i was told that the pots are too small. therefore, i changed the pots and planted them in larger ones. but left them in the sun and the foliage kind of burnt. only the irisis survived the sun. i want to know if i have destroyed my bulbs or if there is some potential for them to regrow and complete thier cycle. and if they would be viable for the next year.
after that i ordered rain lillies and tube roses from the local nursery. they too were in cmall seven inch pots. so i shifted them to larger fruit crates. but thier foliage is truning yellow. especially rin lillies. please advise me about the sunlight requirements for both these plants. i recieve eight hours of direct sun in my patio.

rain lilies

tube roses

also please tell me if these really are tube roses they look like rain lilies to me but the bulbs are different. i hope i havent been played at. waiting anxiously for your reply. please help as soon as possible.
Thankyou
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Re: problems with bulbs

Post by Tahir Khan »

Miss Madhia, both seem like rain lilies to me, can you post a closer picture of the bulbs so it is easier to identify. Tuberoses have waxy stiff leaves. Both plants Tuberoses and Rain lilies require full sun, they may fail to flower in shady location. the yellowing leaves could be an indication of transplant shock which will subside as the bulbs establish.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

your pot size for Hyacinth was not small and also for other bulbs but if they failed to flower for you then bulb size or quality could be the reason or the right atmosphere like sun, soil and water etc, transplanting during the growth stage is not recommended if their foliage start turning yellow then dig them up cut the foliage, take off the dust and after putting some anti rooting or anti fungus powder store them in a cardboard box with some holes and newspaper and they may flower next season.

Tuberose and Rainlily
and Tahir bhai mentioned they require full sun and if you have transplanted them then that could be the reason of yellow foliage, keep them in crates but they are too shallow even if they will receive sun but that could be blocked from the tall side walls try to put some more soil to raise the level so that they could receive more sun and fresh air circulation, for sun morning to afternoon sun location is healthy and as you mentioned they receive 8 hours of sun then that is good enough.

I hope this may help you

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

dear Billah sahab. thankyou very much for your advice. here are the pictures of the tuberose bulbs i got from the nursery

and now that you mentioned i really strongly suspect that they are rain lilies except that the rain lily bulbs that i have are really small in size. maybe they are immature as yet but here is a picture of rain lily bulb

as seen in the picture, it has already divided it self. therefore i dont know what to think. please help

i also have planted a few of summer bulbs. here is the picture of these bulbs in a fruit crate

the name of the bulbs are as follows.
football lilly 2 bulbs
day lily 2 bulb
clevia 2 bulbs
cala lily 1 bulb
lycoris 1 bulb
eucoris 1 bulb
agapanthus 1 bulb

need the sun requirements for the bulbs (i recieve eight hours of direct unfiltered sunlight, as mentioned above). also if the container is of the correct proportion or a bigger one is required. awaiting your feedback. thankyou.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

though look quite similar but wait for the bloom

they are in process of multiplying and yet to complete the process allow some time and don't do anything you may get offsets next year

for summer bulbs

football lilly 2 bulbs never tried this before so hard to say anything, some other members has experienced this bulb they may guide you

day lily 2 bulb: they require morning sunlight to afternoon they are not too fussy to grow

clevia 2 bulbs: it take some time to flower (may take few years) now a days aykhan sb and Umar khan sb shared their experience and blooms, don't disturb this bulb for years and plant clivia separately and let it grow undisturbed

cala lily 1 bulb: is not successful in our climate, it may flower for you as an annual, it requite acidic soil you could add little bit of vinegar for that and again morning sunlight is recommended

lycoris 1 bulb: its not a fussy bulb again its very easy and successful bulb, require only garden soil to grow but its late for this bulb to flower as it flower in fall, if you have already planted them then its ok otherwise they should be planted in August or September, if they get rotted or you fail to save the bulb then I will send you some bulbs I have red Lycoris trying to get Yellow

eucoris 1 bulb: require indirect sunlight, put it under shade or shelter, during flowering time minimum water and after flowering you may water them generously they don't like too cold you may need to secure them during winter

agapanthus 1 bulb: Agapanthus is still in debate, it has not flowered for any member yet, for further information on agapanthus check agapanthus in database and you will find all the information you need

remember bulbous plants require well drained soil in general as they may get rooted because of water logging or because of moist soil, you could add sand and a little bit of grit

most of the summer bulbs require morning sun as our summers get too hot for them to tolerate the heat so recommended location could be East South facing

your crate pots are not a bad option but try to fill more soil to raise the level

I hope this may help you

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

thankyou hammad sahab. i will seperate the clevias first thing in the morning and pot them seperately
Farah Muzaffar
City: DHA Islamabad
Gardening Interests: From flowers to vegetables ... love to grow bulbs

Post by Farah Muzaffar »

As Salam o Alakum Hammad Sahib...

Such a informative thread and now I feel that my tube roses plants are also rain lily bulbs ... But I am determined to grow tube roses... Kindly will you please guide me in general with our climatic conditions ...
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Farah Muzaffar wrote:As Salam o Alakum Hammad Sahib...

Such a informative thread and now I feel that my tube roses plants are also rain lily bulbs ... But I am determined to grow tube roses... Kindly will you please guide me in general with our climatic conditions ...
Farah Tuberose and Daylily both are fuss free bulbs in our climate, inshAllah I will post some details for both bulbs so that we could understand them better and identify, if you could PM me your address I can send you some tuberose and nowadays you can plant them straight away.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

I can see plastic sheets/bags within your fruits crates. How do you handle their drainage? I think drainage is a big issue with your containers.
Kaleem
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

Kaleem wrote:I can see plastic sheets/bags within your fruits crates. How do you handle their drainage? I think drainage is a big issue with your containers.
kaleem sahab, the plastic bags have a large hole in the bottom, they are also a bit folded, so that only excess water may get out and not the soil. and it is working as every morning, the soil is completely dry till the base of the fruit container. i nkow so as i check it with my own hands

Return to “Bulb Growing Guides”