Watering lawn query

Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

whiteangel
City: Lahore

Watering lawn query

Post by whiteangel »

I am from Lahore. The temperature nowadays is creeping up to 40 C. My question is what is the best way to water the lawn. Should I give it a light shower every day or should I give it 1 inch standing water twice a week? My lawn has Dhaka grass.
Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Re: Watering lawn query

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Water the lawn according to it needs. Watering lawn or plants depends on many factors like u mentioned temperature. One factor is soil media and incorporation of quantity of organic matter in it too. organic matter retain the moisture long.
anyway, in summer weekly watering is more good practice rather than to light shower daily. Remember in light watering, water dont reach to the root zone of plants and also evaporate easily. we have to water plant that water reach to the root zone of the plant.

Hope it help u.
Learn & Share
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

For grass/annuals... daily light watering is better as grass roots are shallow....
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

We are talking about LAWN. The active root zone of grass is not so deep. For lush green lawn;
TRY light sprinkle every evening.
One inch high mowing twice a week.
Occasional fertilisation. :D
whiteangel

Post by whiteangel »

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I'll give it a light shower every day.
Muhammad Bilal
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

I m still not agree with my well experienced valuable friends that light showering is a right practice to irrigate lawn.
Healthy lawn requires about one inch of water per week. and in hot weather u can increase it to two per week. As a general rule, apply the water all at once rather than in several light waterings. Also it depends on soil media with quantity of organic matter in it.

It is what i got from my agricultural education, officials trainings/workshops and practice kept by our technical experts.
Learn & Share
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Muhammad Bilal wrote:I m still not agree with my well experienced valuable friends that light showering is a right practice to irrigate lawn.
Healthy lawn requires about one inch of water per week. and in hot weather u can increase it to two per week. As a general rule, apply the water all at once rather than in several light waterings. Also it depends on soil media with quantity of organic matter in it.

It is what i got from my agricultural education, officials trainings/workshops and practice kept by our technical experts.

You are right your experts are right, what they are talking about is flood irrigation in general which is applicable in limited situations.
Dear Sir there are many a way to skin a cat, Follow the logic or the mullah what ever you like.
Food for thought;
What is the Air Capacity of your garden soil? say 20%.
2 inches/Sq inch water will occupy all the air space up to 10 inches.
The gravity will pull down all water more then the field capacity of the soil.
This water draining below 10 inches is also draining away the soluble fertilisers.
What is the depth of active grass roots or annuals?
Sprinkler irrigation is just short of puddle formation.
Arif
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Light sprinkling on daily bases is the right choice for Bermuda (Dhaka, China or American) as the roots of this grass are shallow.I water mine daily in the evening.Remember flood irrigation will make the grass blades very thick & it will not look nice.Thiner & shiny grass blades makes the bowling green effect.Another factor is that flood irrigation does not irrigate the lawn evenly specially if its in slope.For Korean grass flood irrigation is good because its deep rooted.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Sprinkling water on daily bases, Fertilizing on right time, frequent mowing, regular weeding & renovating grass every two or three year will give the ultimate results.Keep in mind maintaing a good lawn turf is the most challenging job in gardening.
whiteangel

Post by whiteangel »

I've always watered my lawn twice a week. The grass growth is good. The reason I prefer the twice a week schedule is that it retains moisture for longer. In light sprinkling there would be greater loss of water due to evaporation. That's my own theory, based on what I have observed in practice. Personally I feel, the two should give equally good results. However the twice a week schedule is more convenient.

Return to “Lawn/Grass”