Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

index_trader
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Grass and trees

Where to buy "Roundup" for lawn?

Post by index_trader »

Gentlemen:

I am in the process of replanting the grass in my lawn. As advised by experienced members in these forums, I would like to use the product called "Roundup", made by Monsanto, to kill the remnants of the old grass that I am trying to replace.

Could anybody here tell me where I could buy it? I live in Lahore (Garden Town) and would prefer to buy it from an Authorized Dealer (or a reliable source) to ensure that the product is genuine.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Where to buy "Roundup" for lawn?

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Were you able to get? if not how you managed.
hnasir
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Orchids
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

Roundup is a tradename of Monsanto as you have pointed out. The active ingredient is glyphosate, which is available under several brands. The brand I use is "Agent" which is marketed by UDL Pakistan. However, be careful as it is toxic to both humans and plants which we want to keep!
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

If you use Agent to kill remnants of old grass wont it kill the newly planted grass?
How long the effect lasts in the soil?
AlAmmar
City: Okara
Gardening Interests: Flowering shrubs and trees

Post by AlAmmar »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote: How long the effect lasts in the soil?
I used Monsanto's Roundup few weeks back to kill weeds growing in vegi garden in the backyard of my home in Okara, and after carpet spray, best I was advised was to wait 6 or 7 days, although it doesn't effect soil at all that's why it is useless against seeds that are in ground and yet to germinate, but wait is for to give time to reach product right into main roots/bulbs of weed/grass etc., and after spray you will see weeds/plants turning yellow and dry up, don't burn the field or disturb the soil at all because objective is to kill the weeds/plants right to their roots! also before using it let your grass/weed/plants grow it at least 8+ inch height.

Roundup in Pakistan is made in Malaysia, its even packaged and labeled in Urdu there, Monsanto in Pakistan is only importing it, source: Monsanto Punjab's regional head is my neighbor. Its retailed around 800 and easily available in major pesticide stores.

Here you can read about toxicity of Glyphosate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate#Toxicity
Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:If you use Agent to kill remnants of old grass wont it kill the newly planted grass?
Yes of course!! actually I destroyed couple of my plants accidentally with only just a little bit of spray that light wind carried it to them :( use it with extreme care!!

Vegi garden 2 weeks ago:
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

It is clear you have fully taken over.
best of luck.
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Monsanto the company has destroyed small farmers across the world. I would have a principled disagreement using its products or advising them. You can watch food inc. (documentary) and many others to know more about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

AlAmmar
City: Okara
Gardening Interests: Flowering shrubs and trees

Re: Where to buy

Post by AlAmmar »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:It is clear you have fully taken over.
best of luck.
Thank you sir, but I am just engaged enough to be at maximum help for him, still a learning curve for me, and long way to go :) Hopefully I will be a batter man in end rather than just a guy with pretty garden to show off 8-)

talha.bin.ayub wrote:Monsanto the company has destroyed small farmers across the world. I would have a principled disagreement using its products or advising them. You can watch food inc. (documentary) and many others to know more about them.

Well Talha I have seen this documentary and many other, the thing I have learned so far is that GMO is just another new advancement and far from perfect, just like the existing ones in mainstream. I believe every new technological development comes with its unique set of problems and solutions, same way GMO presents solutions and problems that are exclusive to it. And as you know Pesticide industry is in direct conflict with GMOs, that's why they exploit GMO's problem to maximum since billions of dollars $$ are at stake. So I don't judge Monsanto any more, sure they have their share of evil management blunders but look at closely to evils of Nestle!

Its mostly Image politics!
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

I respect your opinion. But Monsanto seed planted or accidentally entering a field makes the whole crop ownership shift from tenant to Monsanto. That's quite a bit more than management blunders.
Monsanto seeds only respond to Monsanto pesticides...

Return to “Lawn/Grass”