Gerberas

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Re: Gerberas

Post by farah fayyaz »

@munir sb. from which nursery did u buy these? my mali is unaware about this beatiful plant.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

farah fayyaz wrote:@munir sb. from which nursery did u buy these? my mali is unaware about this beatiful plant.
Madam, it is a very common plant available at all nurseries, big or small. Single variety Gerbera may be available as seedlings in a few weeks,but double variety as a(single)potted plant is available even now;it has just started to bloom,therefore, you may wait for about a week when most would be in blooms,in order to pick up your choice colour/variety, for which you better visit yourself.
Happy experience!
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Munir Sahib i suspect that the Gerbera picture shown by you seem to have been raised from seed but i can be wrong. I hope it is able to survive.

I would strongly advise NOT to buy Gerberas raised from seed by companies like Goldsmith etc. They are less likely to survive in the second year. If tissue culture gerberas whose pictures i have displayed are not available then our local gerberas in single or semi double flowers are more hardy and thus are more likely to survive.

Gerberas need excellent drainage and preferably should be grown in a raised bed with sunlight available from morning till 11 or noon and then shade to protect it from the hot afternoon sun. Having raised beds protect Gerberas from Monsoon rain onslaught which are very harmful for Gerberas as they cannot bear standing water.
riaz
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Horticultural specially roses and interest in fragrant and bulbous plants

Post by riaz »

Nice work, thinking to have these beauties in my garden
Riaz
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

Sir Munir, any update on purchase of gerbera plant from nursery?
Javed Ashraf.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

mikhurram wrote:There are two nurseries based in Lahore which import them from a florist licensee based in Bangalore. I believe they will import in the coming 2 months and I'll message you when they are available once I get the information.
any update?? :mrgreen:
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

The shipment is expected to reach Lahore around 10th of December and shall inform whenever i get the information. Here are some more current photos of Gerberas. The pink pompoon variety (last picture) and the yellow variety (2nd last) are the oldest in my collection (6 year old). So far they have proved to be resilient and i intend to divide them in spring. Sometimes one comes across unusual colours in single local Gerberas. They are also worth growing and used to be available around Rs 30 per pot three years ago and grow fast in a soil bed. I used to have a fuchsia pink colour in single Gerbera which yielded around 25 plants from root division after 4 years but got displaced. The fifth picture is of a single local Gerbera.

Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Very nice blooms.
This year,Gerbera is in short supply in the local market. Interested members may therefore,make an early purchase to avoid a disappointment.
farah fayyaz
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

I visited fatah muhammad nursery. they were selling one pot for rs.300.(single plant) isn't it expensive?
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

if it's a tissue culture Gerbera plant (atleast 2 year old) in an 12 or 14 inch pot then it's not that expensive. However if it's a local single gerbera or grown from seed then it's expensive.

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”