Growing Cherry Tomatoes

Flower & Veggies In Container

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Growing Cherry Tomatoes

Post by KBW »

I have planted my cherry tomatoes in ground where they get 6-8 hours direct sunlight. They are so far doing well. Of course they need to be watered well. The media is 50:50 leaf mould & bhal. A wooden frame has been placed between two plants so that their brances remain supported.

Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

farhan137 wrote:
Tahir Khan wrote:Great job asim sb, enjoy the sweet harvests.. few tips!

1. Move the containers away from direct sunlight to stop bud drop.

2. Mist the plants daily to create humid condition which helps pollination.
Tahir Bhai my experience regarding tomatoes was totally different. Other than containers draining quickly in full sun, is their any other consideration for moving tomatoes away from sun??
Secondly, i experienced water touching the foliage made them susceptible to fungus diseases. Would misting have same consequence?
Farhan bhai regarding your first query, these tips are based on my experience.. i have been growing tomatoes for many years now and after trial and errors i have come to such conclusions.

1. Moving away the containers from full P.M. sun will help excessive water evaporation, dry soil conditions promotes stress to the plants leading to bud drop meaning less fruit.

2. Misting the plants help create a humid environment which helps the pollen to stick to the stigma easily as tomato flowers do not have the pollen anthers outside surrounding the stigma, Tomato anthers are hollow tube with pollen grains inside which need a bee like buzz to help the pollen release and a gentle shake to the flower truss does the job.

3. Our climate is temperate and some what hot, the water touching the foliage evaporates quickly leaving no chance of blight attacks, fungus and blights are a problem in Europe where they don't get much sun. :geek:
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

hmmm interesting. Thankyou for education
Asim_Nawaz
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Thanks for all my friends,
Mr. Tahir, Mr. Farhan, Mr. Rafique and Mr. KBW are giving information and various tip regarding "Cherry Tomotes". After reading my freinds suggestions, tips and various comments. I think Mr Farhan information regarding "Sunlight" is essential for "Ripenining of tomatoes". I will also appreciate of Mr. Tahir second tip, that is most important about "Misting of cherry tomatoes flowers, this plays dominant role of stigma and stemen process of making full bunch of tomaotes. I also like tip of Mr. KBW for supporting of tomotoes plants and finally do'nt worry my friend Mr. Rafique, your are living in Lahore I will send all step by step picture until all the cherry tomotoes ripenining full of red and yellow colors...
As for as my experinece growing "Cherry tomotes". I started to grow Cherry tomotoes fro last 4 years. In last 4 years I always grow cherry tomoetes in container and get appropritate result. For my information and expereince "direct Sunlight is most important for ripening of tomotes. In month of "March" when day temperature is 25 to 30 C and night temperature 12 to 18 C will be moderate for flowes blooming and ripening of tomatoes. I daily two times feed water. On month of "April" when day temperature is above 30 C to 38 C, I can move from my tomatoes plant from whole day dirent sunlight only need morning sunlight from 5 hours, time 7:00 AM to 12:00 PM. At that stage tomotes starts ripening. Now-a-days I misting my cherry tomotes with a gap of 2 days having liquid spray of PK that will support flower and also produce new flowers. As for as Fungal disease within a month from 15th Feb to 15th March I only one time fungicide spray to avoid any disease of tomotoes. Today I also plan fungicide spray on tomotoes after rain on 23rd March to save from any fungal desease. It's my great wish I can share all my experience with my friends and also read information of my friends and collegeues and discuss with them because reading, discussion, tips and experience will also improve your knowledge....
Here fresh picture having full bunch of Cherry tomotoes....
Attachments
Full bunch of Cherry tomatoes
Full bunch of Cherry tomatoes
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

I am not misting the flowers of my cherry tomatoes but water them liberally everyday. They are planted in full sun and apparantly, seem to be doing well so far.

Asim_Nawaz
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Dear KBW
Thanks for appreciating my work and like my job to grow "Cherry Tomatoes at home especially to grow in a container" and also thanks for share & sending beutiful picture of your "cherry tomatoes". As far as my cherry tomatoes just like you starts ripening. Nearer soon I upload new pictures of "Cherry tomatoes". Due to Full sun, day temperature at Lahore now 32 C and night 15 C. Water them regularly two times, bloom in full sun not to misting every day but after 3 to 4 days when apply liquid spray of PK only.
Asim
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@KBW....very healthy Tomatoes Masha Allah
saqib
City: Gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Perennials,Bulbs

Post by saqib »

I am growing my tomatoes in containers receiving full sun ,they were going good but today i noticed brown spots on fruit , stem and leaves, if it is tomato blight how can i control it
Attachments
DSCN2120.JPG
DSCN2118.JPG
saqib
City: Gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Perennials,Bulbs

Post by saqib »

overall look of my tomatoes
Attachments
DSCN2121.JPG
Asim_Nawaz

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

@Saqib... Brown spot on tomotoes
Dear Saqib brown spot on tomotes due to lack of Calcium deficieny in your fertilizer. First of all check PH level soil, by PH meter of PH paper. Apply two or three time "Liquid spray" with gap of 2 day having Calcium, Mg, Mn, P and K ingredients. But overall great job your tomatoes will be healthy.
Asim

Return to “Asim's Container RoofTop Garden”